Saturday, March 3, 2018

Temper Tantrums, YIKES!

So, I thought the 2's were supposed to be terrible, not the 21 months!  Marlo had her first ever, full out temper tantrum last night (thankfully we were home) and for no apparent reason.  She had to go to daycare full time this week as grandpa and grandma were out of town.  I'm thinking she was exhausted, but it lasted about 30 minutes, and for no reason at all. As I was holding her after her nap, (she was calm) I sat down in a chair and she freaked out!  Wet noodle, on the floor, screaming her head off. My husband and I quickly learned that if we ignored her, the crying (pterodactyl noises) would stop.  But the moment you made eye contact with that little dinosaur, the fight was on again! 

We were planning on meeting a friend for dinner, so by the time we were about 20 minutes late, we decided to just go for it.  Elmo (me) suggested we go outside and walk around, which seemed to calm her down for about 30 seconds.  My husband fought with her to get in the car seat, but once she was strapped in, she stopped screaming and began politely talking to us like nothing ever happened....WHAT??!?! 

Maybe she realized we weren't giving in.  Maybe she realized that we had plans, and we weren't going to stop them because of her fits.  Or maybe she was exhausted (as were we) after throwing herself around for 30 minutes for no damn reason!  Once we got to dinner, she was content, happy, and running around like her normal self. She was smiling with our friend and playing peek-a-boo. 

Toddlers are bipolar!  I work in the mental health field, so I am not trying to bash anyone with bipolar, trust me, I've lived with people that have severe cases.  But holy hell what was going on in that kids mind that she had to wet noodle throw herself in a tizzy on the floor and spin around and scream for literally 30 minutes?  Has anyone ever hooked up a brain scan to a toddler during a temper tantrum?  Probably not, because they are afraid of losing a limb while trying to attach it!  Oye Vey! 

Good luck parents of this age, we all need to stick together!

No comments:

Post a Comment