Saturday, September 23, 2017

Strong Mom

I never knew how strong I could be until I had a child.  I never knew that in the face of danger, I could face that danger head on, and not know the fear I came in contact with until it was over.  I never knew that when my baby girl was hurting, I would have to put on a brave face, and handle the situation like a boss!

I also never knew how weak and vulnerable I could be when I became a mom.  Until recently, Marlo has been very happy and healthy.  Last week she developed an ear infection, and like any normal parent, we put her on an antibiotic.  Little did we know, Marlo would develop a severe allergic reaction to Amoxicillin, 8 days AFTER she started the antibiotic.  She woke up this morning with both eyes swollen shut, and her face so puffy that she didn't even want to eat.  I immediately started crying when I looked at her, not only because I felt badly for her, but also because there was absolutely nothing I could do to provide her relief.

My husband and I rushed her to the ER and there she was placed on steroids which are already helping.

The feeling of helplessness is something that I have never felt the way I did today.  Sobbing on my husbands shoulder and having to leave the room when they took her blood made me feel like a horrible mother, but also reminded me that I am human.

No comments:

Post a Comment