Sunday, July 9, 2017

Really? I have to change her where?

Alright boys and girls, lets talk about the fact that not every eating establishment with a public restroom happens to have a changing station for babies and toddlers.  What does this mean for parents?  It means we have to get creative!

I have been to several restaurants lately that have restrooms, but no where to change Marlo.  Sometimes the restroom isn't even big enough for us to both fit in.  So I have to improvise.  I either take her back to the car (no matter how far the walk) to change her, or put her on the floor of a filthy restroom, which I really hate doing.  Otherwise, I'd be happy to change her on the bench or table we are eating on, and all of the other customers would have to be exposed to her exposé!

I have also been impressed on some places that DO have bathrooms with changing stations for little ones.  In fact, Marlo went on her first plane ride in June, and low and behold she pooped as soon as the flight took off!  Once the seat belt sign went off, my husband and I rock, paper, scissored for the glorious opportunity to change her in the tiny bathroom on the plane.  Luckily, Spirit airlines has a decent set up for changing a little one in the almost as little bathroom.  I should have taken a picture, but I was just hurrying to get Marlo cleaned up. (You may notice I lost the game of rock, paper, scissors.) They had an entire table that folded down and basically took up the entire toilet seat. IT WAS AMAZING!  Not only were their staff delightful and mildly humorous, but the changing area for babies and toddlers was sufficient, need I say, better than most Wal-Marts I have been in.

Airport bathrooms were also delightful as they had an entire counter to change your little one on rather than just that pull down plastic table that almost always feels like it's going to collapse under the weight of a 1-year old.  Marlo was not a fan of being changed in public prior to the trip, needless to say the hubs and I were a bit nervous about the experience.  Luckily, due to the unexpected amenities provided, Marlo is not as grumpy when we attempt to change her public.

The family's favorite restaurant is even lacking one.  I have complained to the well known manager several times that we have to take Marlo to the car, change her, and proceed with our dinner.   I don't think those fold down tables are difficult to install.  In fact, I'd do it for you!

Don't worry, you won't lose any "hip/cool" points with the teens and young adults if you include one of these in your public restrooms.  In fact, they probably won't even notice!

PSA to any establishment knowing they will have children in and out of their doors: PLEASE INCLUDE A CHANGING TABLE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment